Friday, February 17, 2012

Sweet Potato, Kale and Caramelized Onion Pizza


Pizza, pizza, pizza!  It's all I've posted since I came home from Mexico!  Well, truth be told I am still working my way back to reality after my break.  Right now, I'm cooking up a batch of Sopa di Lima, which I am very excited to share here soon.

The other day I posted about the Valentine's day heart shaped pizzas I made for Evie's preschool class.  There is one girl in her class who has some food sensitivities and I didn't want her to miss out on a special lunch, so I talked to her mom about what foods were off limits and what she could eat.  I decided I would make this sweet potato pizza for her.   Since I didn't think I'd need a whole sweet potato for one person, I decided we'd have that for dinner the same night.

While Evie was not a big fan of it, she did eat about half of one piece.  The little girl in her class loved it, though and that was what was most important to me.  My son and I also loved it.   I don't think Nico was a big fan, but he ate it without complaint.  

Personally, I thought it was way better than I anticipated.   I added a little sprinkle of parmesan cheese to one slice, just to give it a punch of flavor, but it really did not need it.  The sweetness of the potato and onions with the earthy, crunchiness of the kale... I sprinkled a little kosher salt over it and it was a simple and delicious dinner.

Sweet Potato, Kale, and Caramelized Onion Pizza
slightly adapted from The Type A Housewife

1 large sweet potato
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 cup kale, torn into pieces
3 tbsp milk
1 prepared pizza crust
kosher salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Pierce the sweet potato and bake about 45 to an hour, until soft.

While the potato is baking, heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and add the onion and a pinch of salt.  Turn down to low and stir occasionally until the onions are caramelized, about 30-40 minutes.   (The original recipe had the kale cooked with the onions.  But I liked the kale raw, so it got crispy like kale chips.)

Allow the potato to cool until you can handle it, then remove the skin.  Place the flesh in a food processor with the milk.  Add salt and pepper to taste.   Pulse until smooth.  Spread the puree over the pizza crust, top with onions and torn kale.   Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.  

If adding a sprinkle of cheese, do so after you remove it from the oven.

1 comment:

Slice of Southern said...

Oh, this combination looks fabulous! Can't wait to try this...